Friday, September 28, 2012

overwhelmed.

I'm there. Overwhelmed. I wasn't there yesterday. I wasn't there this morning. I just arrived in the land of the overwhelmed this afternoon. Suddenly I looked around my classroom and saw the chaos. The ungraded papers, the science materials stacked on the back counter, the unfed crayfish next to the sink (I have since fed them, so don't worry :), the desks all askew (I moved them into rows, but I hate that at the end of every day the desks are a mess!), and my desk PILED with stuff. Just piled.

And, it's the end of the month. You know what that means. Bulletin boards need to be changed, the calendar needs to be changed, and since it's the end of the week, the newsletter needs to be created and emailed out, too. Sigh. I raced around the room for about forty minutes after my kids left today, but it's still chaotic.

Don't get me wrong.... it's a good chaos. We had a really good week of learning. Thinking back to some of the conversations I heard my "friends" having this week, here's some of what I overheard:

"This is grammar? I love grammar!"
"What do crayfish eat? Do they poop? Can they live outside of water? When will we get to learn about the crayfish??"
"Can we work on our skits in our groups now?"
"Aw, man! I got chloroplast on my pants at recess!" (Learning about plants is paying off! Yay for the smarter vocabulary!)
"Do we have to stop reading now?  Can we have ten more minutes?"
"I can't choose from my writing prompts. Can I write both of them if I have time?"

Yes, it's been a VERY good learning week. And, in preparation of another such week, I'll be going into school tomorrow for awhile. We have a waffle breakfast fund-raiser anyhow, so I'll just stay and work on some things for a bit and be ready for another week of learning. And you know what? I don't love the chaos, or leaving my room in shambles in the evening, but if the chaos is a side-effect of my kids' learning, then so be it! Bring on the chaos!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I could've written this today!!

    We had a crazy week, and while it was amazing, I told mu husband I need to go in tomorrow just to feel on top of things again. I can't start a new week with my desk the way it is!

    Don't the little eavesdropping moments make it worth it, though? :) Good luck getting ready to go for next week!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I needed the encouragement! It does make it worth it! Good luck to you, too!!

      Delete
  2. I feel this way at the end of every month too! Thank you for this post, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not alone!

    www.croftsclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete