Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kindergarten Computer Chaos

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I would do a Google image search to show you my current state of mind:
Yep. That's about it. This is about what Kindergarten Computer class does to me. Normally it's not quite THIS bad, but today... oh, today I earned my paycheck.

I'll start by introducing you to a typical kinder computer lab time. They smile and say hello and hug me when they come in (this is my favorite part of teaching--the hugs and high fives from the little ones!). It doesn't matter what has happened on previous days, they are just excited as can be to come to class.


That's pretty accurate. Imagine 16 of those at one time. Then, bless their hearts!, they attempt to log in. A few get it right away, but the majority of them take a loooong time to get it right. They know the username and password from weeks of practice. The problem is the typing. They are SO focused and SO intent upon getting it right that they press each key just a little too long. Thus, instead of, say, "dog," they end up with something more like, "dddddoooooogggggg." And then they wonder why they can't log in! If only the computer could sense their sincerity and effort! Sigh.

So what does a frustrated kindergartener do?  
"Miss Craig? Miss Craig? Miss CRAIG????" 
 It really wouldn't be that bad, except that it's usually 12 of the 16 yelling this all at the SAME TIME.
Thus, the picture at the top of the post.

If only that were the end of it today. Oh, no. No. Today, one of my precious kinder friends grabs herself and proclaims, "I have to go to the bathroom!!" It was clearly urgent. So, I opened the door to the computer lab, and sent this girl and her partner two doors down to the bathroom. After about five minutes they still hadn't returned, so I signaled across the hall to one of the middle school teachers to watch my class please, and went down to the girls' bathroom door.

Lo and behold... it really had been an emergency. I'm now facing a kindergarten girl with her panties around her ankles and a worried look on her face.

Thankfully, her mom's the school secretary. One little phone call and mom was here to help.

That, my dear teaching friends, is why I feel a bit frazzled right now as I head off to teach middle school history. They tend to act like kindergarteners too, sometimes!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment